Friday, April 16, 2010

Super Duper Service

The big lofty goal of our organization at H&R group is to become the relocation company that has the number one reputation with Foreigners and Japanese. To our staff the example I use to explain who we want to be is "Singapore Airlines" that have a record unheld by anybody else as the most "awarded" airline in the world. Singapore Airlines signifies service greatness; they have been selected as the best airline in the world for something like 20 of the last 21 years. That is who I want H&R Group to be in relocation.

It was in great contrast to this that I experienced US Airways in the last few days. Unfortunately, I am still experiencing them, as I am stuck in Philidelphia due to the ash created by the volcano in Iceland. I must admit that US Airways on the phone have been great. They even rescheduled all my flights this morning, so that I can hopefully fly out of here tomorrow. Their customer service on every occasion has been wonderful everytime I called customers services.

It is a pity therefore, that I came across John F in Washington DC yesterday. Due to John F, I will never choose to fly US Airways again. This is much like Northwest Airlines that did the same dis-service to me in Japan a few years ago. I swear I will never use them again, and I will tell the John F story until I am blue.


I arrived in Washington DC two days ago oblivious to the fact that some volcano in Iceland was spitting ash. I swiped my passport in the machine, which immediately told me "See an attendant, your flight has been cancelled". The lady that attended to me was really nice. It was not her problem that a natural disaster prevented me from flying and I accepted that. She kindly looked into all the options and booked me into the nearest available flight, about 4 days away. Not over the moon at the 4 day part of things, I asked her what other options I had, and she suggested that "standby" was the only other option, and that to do that I needed to be in Philidelphia where my international flight departed. I took this advice on board and asked for the next flight to Philly, so that the next day I could be at the airport.


She kindly re-arranged my flights and then asked me to place my luggage on the scales. As per the flight into the US, my suitcase was 30kgs due to the company brochures and other work material I was carrying. However, now that my flight was just a domestic one to Philly, and not the International linked flight an alarm comes up about my suitcase being over weight.


So here I am. I have been standing at the counter for about 60 mins now getting everything re-done. Granted; it is a natural disaster over which nobody has control, but my departure date has been put back by 4-days. US Airways offers no compensation, no hotel stays, no meals, abosolutely zip, which is accepted; not US Airways fault. In order to get out of the US and get to the business meetings scheduled, I need to be in Philly to see if I can get an earlier flight on stand by. My choice yes, but I have paid for that flight and I have just chosen to take it without the international piece until it can be confirmed. My suitcase is no different to when I arrived in the US and took a domestic flight to Washington DC from Chicago.


So, up rolls John F and looks at my over weight suitcase. Sorry sir, you are overweight, and this will be a $75.00 charge he says. But please, I said, this is the same suitcase for which I came to DC with. I was not charged in coming here, and so why should I be charged on the way out? Sir, you choose to change your flights, he says. So what?, I replied. I changed my flight because my international flight has been delayed 4 days, and I need to be in Philly to try and get an earlier flight. Oh, you may have a very valid reason sir, but our system can't just over ride this, as you have chosen to change your flights. You're joking I say. No, I have made my decision he says. Hold on a minute John F I say; you have made your decision or your system cannot allow the change, which one is it? Oh, well um..... it is both, but that's it, you can pay the 75.00 dollars and take your bag or leave without it.


What fantastic customer service. Do you think this is how Singapore Airlines became number one? This was an opportunity to win me over. It would have cost US Airways nothing, and I would have been a fan. Result; I was so pissed off that not only did I take John's name to report to customer service, but I will never take US Airways again, and I will not ever recommend them to anyone else.


So, John F. I hope you enjoyed your power play yesterday. Maybe one day you will wake up and realize what the role is you have in building your companies reputation. Let's face it, it doesn't matter how good the people on the front line are, and it doesn't matter how good the US Airways executive team is, if middle management of your airline is all like you, your airline doesn't stand a chance. It is a pity that you can't see it, because one day it is also likely to be the reason that someone takes your job. Happy future fella, the writing is on the wall.

3 comments:

Empty Space said...

So, I understand you had a bad day, or a few bad days, right? Hang tough Bro!

Bursy said...

Here is the so called "explanation" by US Airways....

"Baggage fee exemption applies only to those who traveled from overseas. Our records indicate that you have arrived from Nagoya on April 12th via ANA and United Airlines, and you flew with us on April 15th."

Pretty convincing explanation! Since I am still an overseas traveller.....

Bursy said...

US Airways finally agreed to a full refund;

"After further review, we have submitted a request for a refund of your baggage fee to our Refund Department on your behalf. Please be advised that overweight fees do apply regardless of where you are traveling. Please allow 15 business days for review of your request. If your refund request is granted and a credit card was used for payment, please allow 1 to 2 billing cycles for the refund to be reflected on your statement."