Monday, June 28, 2010

Swimming Lessons; Learn It From Someone!

The H&R Group is MORE THAN RELOCATION!
www.morethanrelo.com

When I was young, I used to hate swimming as much as I hated piano lessons. I disliked both of them with a passion, until of course I got into my twenties and then realized that I was an idiot.

I never went back to the piano, as I am literally tone deaf, but I have always enjoyed a variety of sports. So, with an ever expanding waist line, I decided it was time that I actually did learn to swim properly once and for all.

I initially tried to teach myself. Dumb idea…… this is where I learned a lesson that will stick with me for a long time. If you don’t understand something or want to learn a new hobby or sport, don’t just read about it or watch it on a DVD, get someone to teach you about it. Find a coach, a mentor, or attend a seminar where someone will teach you in a language you understand….. Trust me, learning things this way will speed up the process ten fold.

How do I know this? Well, I have started taking swimming lessons, and it is embarrassing how much I have learnt in 3 weeks, and the lesson is a group one!! It all seemed so easy looking at everyone else swimming in the pool, and it actually isn’t that difficult with practice, but you do need to learn the “how” from someone who knows and can point out what you are doing wrong, or how you improve what on what you have. I have made so much progress in 3 weeks that swimming has now become so much fun!

I now realize now why the best players in world sports have coaches, and having thought about this for a number of weeks, I strongly believe that “coaching” is not just for sports, but in fact for business and whatever you are challenging. A great example of this is the Entrepreneurship Mentor Initiative (EMI) being undertaken by the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan (ACCJ); an opportunity for budding entrepreneurs to learn things from others (see more at www.accj.or.jp).

If you need to get somewhere fast, learn from people that are doing it now!! Books are great, but they are not good at teaching you the “how” part, which is the difference between good implementation of your challenge and poor or no implementation. Learn it from someone!

No comments: